Ingredients: (10 pieces in standard paper cups)
5 egg yolks
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 – 1 tsp vanilla esssence
55g warm corn oil / melted butter
60ml warm milk
80g cake flour
20g corn starch
1/2 tsp baking powder
5 egg whites
50g castor sugar
1. Sieve flour, corn starch and baking powder together.
2. Beat egg yolks, sugar, salt and vanilla essence together till thick and creamy. (I beat my egg yolk by sitting the mixing bowl in a basin of hot water).
3. Stir the warm corn oil/melted butter and milk into the yolk mixture. Mix well.
4. Fold in the sieved flour mixture and mix well.
5. Beat egg whites till white in colour and add in sugar by thirds and beat till egg white is stiff.
6. Fold half portion of the egg white into egg yolk and blend well.
7. Pour the yolk mixture into the remaining egg white and blend well.
8. Spoon batter into paper cups lined with baking paper up to 80% full and bake at 180C for 20 minutes or till golden brown.
Cut baking paper into 19cm x 19cm put it on top of a paper cup then use another paper cup to push the baking paper into the cup (idea from Jo’s Deli).
Be careful not to dirty the baking paper while spooning in the batter otherwise you will get dark brown patches on the baking paper and the paper-lined sponge will not be presentable.
The paper cups are tall so if you are baking in a small table top oven, for the first 10 – 12 minutes bake it in the middle rack then move it to the lower rack and bake till cooked.