Ingredients For Yeast Dough:
450 gm plain flour
1. Sift flour onto table, add water gradually and knead into a smooth dough, taking about 20 minutes.
2. Place dough into an oiled container, cover with a piece of damp cloth and put on the container lid.
3. Set aside for 48 hours for dough to ferment. (Dough will take a longer or shorter time to ferment depending on weather conditions). The dough is ready for use when it turns sourish.
Ingredients for Five-Spice Doughnut:
450 gm prepared yeast dough
250 gm sugar
375 gm plain flour
125 ml water
1 tbsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp alkaline water
1 tbsp five-spice powder
1 tbsp salt
a little water for brushing
1. Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in 125 ml water and add to yeast dough. Add sugar and alkaline water and knead for 5 to 10 minutes.
2. Add sifted flour and knead well. Sprinkle top with some flour, cover with a piece of damp cloth and set aside to proof for 1 hour or longer.
3. Sprinkle some flour on table top. Roll out dough into a rectangular sheet.
4. Sprinkle some five-spice powder and salt over dough. Dip a brush with some water and brush over mixture lightly.
5. Roll dough up like a swissroll and cut into 2.5 cm slices. Flatten each piece into a thin round shape with a wooden roller.
6. Deep fry in hot oil till golden brown. Drain off excess oil on absorbent paper.