60g milk (I used UHT milk)
40g cream cheese
65g flour (sifted)
4 egg yolks
4 egg whites
90g sugar (I cut down to 75g)
Pinch of salt
1/8 tsp cream of tartar
1) Cook (A) over double-boiler until well blended and thickens.
2) Remove from double-boiler. Add (B) and mix until smooth.
3) Add (C) and mix until well combined.
4) Whip the egg whites in (D) until foamy. Add the rest of the (D) ingredients in (D). Whip until stiff. Add it into the cheese mixture from step (3). Fold in by hand (use a rubber spatula) until well incorporated.
5) Pour it into a 9-inch chiffon pan. Do not grease the pan. Bake in preheated oven at 175C for 35 – 40 minutes. Remove it from the oven. Invert the pan and let it cool upside down.
Click here to know more about beating of egg white in step (4).
1) I doubled the recipe as my chiffon pan was big and another reason was I wanted to finish the leftover cream cheese from making this cake. (I used all 90g).
2) The recipe does not mention if the cheese mixture in step (1) need to cool down before proceed to step (2) and (3). I didn’t let it cool down. I just placed the cheese mixture over a plate of water while doing step (2) and (3).
3) My cake started to crack after baking for about 20 minutes, I am not sure of the reason (anyone can advise me?) but I lowered the temperature to 160C and continued to bake. I baked for 40 minutes in total.
1) Make sure the mixing bowl and utensil you use to beat egg white is free of oil, water or egg yolk. The presence of any would affect the final result.
2) Cream of tartar can be replaced by lemon juices.