(Recipe adapted from Okashi: sweet treats made with love)
Ingredients: (makes one 20cm chiffon tin)
5 egg yolks
20g sugar (I used 10g)
60g vegetable oil
50g cake flour
30g cocoa powder
5 egg whites
10g corn flour
1) Whisk egg yolks and sugar until the sugar dissolves.
2) Gradually add in vegetable oil, followed by water.
3) Sift cake flour and cocoa powder twice and add into egg yolk mixture. Mix until just combined. Set aside.
4) In another bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy. Add in combined sugar and corn flour mixture gradually and continue whisking until stiff peak form.
5) Gently fold in the egg white into the egg yolk batter (in step 3) in 3 batches.
6) Pour the batter into an ungreased chiffon tin. Give the tin a few slight knocks on the tabletop to remove air bubbles. Bake in preheated oven at 170 deg C for 40 minutes (update on second attemp: lower to 160C for the last 10 mins).
7) Remove from oven and invert the tin immediately onto a cooling rack. Unmould the cake only when it is completely cool.
I have made a simple chocolate ganache to go with the chocolate chiffon and I would say that the combination is very good.
65g dairy whipping cream
65g dark couverture chocolate
1) Cook whipping cream over low heat till it starts to boil. Remove from heat.
2) Pour cream over to chocolate and gentle stir till all chocolate is melted.
3) Pour ganache over cooled cake and let it set. Decorate as desired. Chill the cake in the fridge before serving. Take out cake from the fridge 5-10 mins before serving.