The original recipe is actually a devil’s food cake; I rename it because I omitted the chocolate ganache and I think it is no longer “devil”.
Ingredients: (make 2 round 6-inch cakes)
80g dairy cream
80g bittersweet chocolate
40g unsalted butter
80g egg yolk
160g egg white
100g castor sugar
60g low protein flour (I used cake flour)
20g unsweetened cocoa powder
Banana Butter Cream
90g unsalted butter
25g icing sugar (sifted)
45g mashed bananas
1) Line the bottom of 2 round 6-inch pans with baking paper. Combine (D) and sift together.
2) Combine (A) and cook over double boiler, stir till chocolate is melted. 2) Add (B), mix till well blended (= egg yolk chocolate mixture).
3) With an electric mixer, beat egg white till foamy, add sugar in 3 sessions, and beat till soft peak (70-80%) (7-8分发) (When lifted, the tip of the meringue has soft and small bend).
4) Take 1/3 of the meringue to mix with the egg yolk chocolate mixture using a rubber spatula till 80% incorporated (need not mix till fully incorporated).
5) Fold in 1/3 of (D) gently, mix till just incorporated.
6) Fold in remaining meringue and (D) alternatively to form even chocolate batter.
7) Divide batter into 2 round 6-inch pans. Bake in preheated oven at 180C/160C for 20-25 minutes (I baked at 170C as my oven can’t set different upper and lower temp.)
8) Cool the cake upside down once remove from oven. Loosen the side with a small knife and unmold after the cakes have cool down completely.
9) To prepare banana butter cream, beat butter and icing sugar till fluffy and pale in colour, add mashed bananas and mix well. Slice the cake horizontally into 2 pieces, sandwich with banana butter cream.
(Recipe reference: 《美味糕点新主张》by 薛纪娟)