However, if you like your muffin to be super chocolaty, you can always increase the amount of cocoa powder.
250g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp best quality cocoa powder
175g caster sugar (I used 170g)
150g chocolate chips (save 1/4 of the chips for sprinkling)
90ml vegetable oil
1 large egg
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1) Preheat the oven to 200 deg C.
2) Put the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa, sugar, and 3/4 of the chocolate chips into a large bowl and mix well.
3) Pour all the liquid ingredients into a measuring jug and mix well.
4) Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix together with slow and gentle strokes. Stop stirring once the last traces of flour disappear. Do not over mix. A lumpy batter will ensure the muffins stay moist and fluffy.
5) Spoon the batter into paper muffin cases.
6) Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 chocolate chips on top and bake for 20 minutes or until the muffins are dark, risen and springy.
I lowered the oven temperature to 180C after 10 mins of baking when I noticed the top started to crack.