This is definitely for durian lovers only. The muffin is very soft even on the third day. The aroma from the durian is quite dominant, plus the pure durian flesh in the centre, it tastes heavenly!
Ingredients: (yield 12 medium size muffins)
160g plain flour (I used 180g superfine flour)
120g sugar (I cut down to 100g)
1½ tsp baking powder
Pinch of salt (optional)
120g butter (melted)
120g milk (I added extra 1tbsp water)
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup durian flesh (use a fork to mash the durian flesh)
1) Preheat oven to 180C, prepare muffin cup or line muffin tray with paper liners.
2) In a large bowl, sift and mix together (A). In another bowl combine and mix (B).
3) Make a well in the centre of (A) and add in (B), stir till just incorporated (use a spatula to fold from bottom to top and use the other hand to turn the mixing bowl at the same time).
4) Add about half of (C), mix till combined (do not over mix). Batter should be a bit runny.
5) Fill up each muffin cup with the batter till 50% full, add 1 tsp of the remaining durian flesh, then top with the batter till 80% full.
6) Bake for about 20 – 25 mins or till a toothpick inserted into the centre of muffin and come out clean. Remove muffin from muffin tray and cool on wire rack.
My muffins were cooked in 20 mins time but the top crust still looked quite pale, I switched to top fire and baked for another 2 – 3 mins to get golden brown crust.
Recipe reference: http://www.mykitch3n.blogspot.com/2008/08/durian-muffin.html (recipe had been modified)