Foodelicious Heaven: Another nice recipe from Do What I Like.
3 egg yolks
pinch of salt
40g warm corn oil
50ml warm milk
1/2 tsp vanilla paste / essence
1 tsp orange zest (optional)
1 tsp rum (optional)
75g sieved cake flour
4 egg whites
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
10g cocoa powder
17cm tube pan
1. Mix all ingredients in the chocolate paste together and double boil till sugar dissolved and you get a homogeneous chocolate mixture. Sieve chocolate mixture if lumpy. Leave aside for use later.
2. Cream egg yolks, vanilla, salt and sugar till creamy.
3. Add in the warm oil, warm milk, orange zest and rum, mix till well-combined.
4. Sieve in the flour and mix till batter is lump-free.
5. Beat egg white with electric beater until big bubbles formed. Sprinkle in cream of tartar and beat until it is white in colour. Add in 40g sugar 3 times (a little at a time) and beat till stiff perks formed.
6. Pour 1/2 egg white into flour mixture in (4) and blend well.
7. Pour flour mixture into the rest of the egg white and fold till just blended. Remove 1/4 of the batter and mix it with the chocolate paste, blend well.
8. Pour the 2 batters into ungreased tube pan using your imagination and create your own marble effect. Bake at 170 – 180C for 35 – 45 minutes or till cooked.
9. Invert the cooked cake during cooling process.
Orange zest is really optional. I added it as it would enhanced the flavour of the chocolate mixture.