Makes one 21cm (base measurement, 24cm top measurement) angel-food tube pan.
100g plain flour
100ml evaporated milk
1 teaspoon vanilla paste or extract
1 whole egg
6 egg yolks
6 egg whites
1/8 teaspoon salt
150g caster sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160°C. Do not grease or line the tube pan.
2. Melt butter in a saucepan over low heat. As soon as the butter is melted, remove from heat. Add all the flour at once and stir briskly to incorporate.
3. Add in evaporated milk and stir to combine. Beat in the vanilla, one whole egg and the 6 egg yolks to combine.
4. Beat the 6 egg whites with the salt until foamy. Gradually add in the sugar, one spoonful at a time. Beat until the meringue is glossy and thick but just under the stiff peaks stage.
5. Fold 1/3 of the meringue into the yolk mixture. When combined, fold in the next 1/3 of the meringue. Repeat with the remaining meringue until thoroughly combined.
6. Pour into the clean tube pan. Give the pan a light tap on the kitchen bench to get rid of any large bubbles in the batter.
7. Bake for about 50 minutes, or until cooked. Remove from oven and tap the pan again. Immediately turn the pan upside-down (use cups or drinking glasses to elevate the pan if necessary) and let cool completely this
8. When the cake is cold, remove from the pan, slice and serve with tea or coffee.